Residential Remodeling Mistakes
Fehn Electric has had the opportunity to work on numerous residential remodels in Salinas and throughout Monterey County. And on a great majority of them we see the same remodeling mistakes being consciously made over and over again. These mistakes are not replacing the old electrical wiring and galvanized plumbing pipes with new copper wiring and updated plumbing. When the old drywall or plaster and lathe walls are stripped clear and opened up, it’s your best opportunity to update your homes’ most vital systems. Too many home owners focus on creating a stylish and beautiful facade and ignore the fact that their home must also function safely and efficiently through the electrical and plumbing systems. It’s like restoring a 57′ Chevy and not touching the engine or drivetrain. It’s crazy!
Here are the main reasons why you should replace your old electrical and plumbing systems when you remodel your kitchen, bathroom or home:
- Walls with open access are easier to install electrical wiring and plumbing in. This cuts your labor cost by up to 50% making it the most affordable time to update your electrical and plumbing systems.
- Most remodels take place when the home is 35+ years old. That means your electrical wiring and plumbing pipes have taken 35+ years of rigorous use and in most cases, are on the verge of failing from deterioration.
- New electrical and plumbing systems will increase the value of your home and make your home a better place to live in.
- If your home was constructed before the 1950’s, it is most likely wired with knob and tube or ungrounded electrical cabling. Installing new electrical cabling during your remodel will ensure that your new electrical system will by properly grounded and bonded to code. The added bonus could be a decrease in your home owner’s insurance policy.
- During your remodel, you can add those additional 20 amp circuits to the kitchen and bathrooms and never have to reset a tripped breaker again. Overloaded electrical circuits will be a thing of the past.
- When you replace the electrical and plumbing systems during your remodel, you avoid the dust, patching and repainting of the drywall when the inevitable electrical or plumbing repair takes place.
- Don’t forget to upgrade your old electrical panel during your remodel. The energy demands of today’s home is almost double what it was 40 years ago. More available power at your panel gives you more options in adding future appliances and room additions. Think and plan forward to the future.
While we’re on the subject of home remodeling, Fehn Electric offers free electrical estimates. If you’re planning a remodel of your home, kitchen or bathroom, call Fehn Electric today at (831)998-1746 and we’ll schedule an appointment at your convenience.
Latest Blog Entry
What is a GFCI outlet? A GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlet is an electrical device that is designed to shut off power when it detects current flow through an unintended path such as a person or water. They are used to reduce the...
California C-10 License# 971567